Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» Request ct call sine
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 pm by gstearn@btinternet.com

» Hello CharlieTangoDX
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeToday at 11:40 am by derbysatellite

» Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:14 am by 26CT867

» 26.285 USB Calling Frequency
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:53 pm by 26CT867

» What HF home base setup are you using?
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 pm by Marlin.45

» My pmr radios
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:31 pm by 26CT867

» squares like hams on 11m
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by 26CT867

» Alinco dr-135dx
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:58 pm by 26CT867

» Southern Area SSB net
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by morris

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Vote_lcapSirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Voting_barSirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Vote_lcapSirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Voting_barSirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Vote_rcap 
Matt86
Fred in the shed
Razz229
108CT1642
Padrick
williammason10
time machine
Doc1864
Keywords
high list charlie tango challenge north Network callsign Mckinley east Messages members call sign yaesu user radio mick Buxton
August 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 8 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 2 Bots

Danielwalker1983, derbysatellite, gstearn@btinternet.com, jakdaw, morris, plazia, Sydthecat, Tony Curtis

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
del6600

QTH or Location : Herfordshire
Call Sign : 26-CT-2711
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-891-Sirio Gainmaster 5/8-RG213-Watson Power meter-QRM Eliminator

Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Empty
PostSubject: Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)   Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Just had a couple of days of bad rain storms plus winds up to 25+mph. I use a Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 wave mounted about 30 feet from ground to base of GM. The aerial bent a little in the wind but seemed ok. Around 7pm on Saturday [10/08/19] we heard a noise like a tap coming from outside, then over the next hour several more taps were heard. I went outside looked up at the GM and the top section was swaying in the wind, hanging on by the inner aerial cable!. No radio that night.
Today Sunday [11/08/19] the wind had died down a little although gusts were up to 15+mph. I got out the ladders and went up to get the GM down. I got the T & K U bolts unfastened but the wing was making life very difficult, eventually I got the GM down.
To my surprise the top section was not broken. The jubilee clip had come loose which holds the section together. I put the section back in but I had about 25cm of wire sticking out of the top.
I checked the other 2 jubilee clips and they were very loose also, the sections had all slipped down into one another! How the clips had come loose I will never know, all I do know is that I definitely tightened them when I first put the GM up 12 months ago.
The reason of this post: If you have a GM check the jubilee clips are tight, I was lucky this time it could have been expensive if it had cracked.
Next job is to put the GM back up, might do it tonight or I might leave to the morning?
26-CT-2711
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gunrunner

Gunrunner

QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX
Equipment Used : ss9900 mass dx 5000 sirio 4000hp sirio 5000 turbo trimag tti 801 crt7u

PostSubject: Re: Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)   Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am

yes you are lucky and it might be good to check your clips at least once a year just to be on the safe side and take care up ladders in windy 15 mph gusts and with the antenna to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
26CT867

QTH or Location : Northumberland
Equipment Used : FT840 FT51r FT817nd Alinco DR-135UK to name a few

PostSubject: scary things those gainmasters   Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:14 am

Got one just about new in box sitting in the spare room, had it on two large wall brackets and a pole reaching only 4ft above the guttering and when the wind slightly blew it would sway about like a mobile whip antenna, great antenna to use but it scared the old people next door so much they started to walk on the other side of the road lol to keep the peice it came down after only one month wont be going up again wasted £90 on the stupid thing. 73 Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)   Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sirio GainMaster 5/8 (Beware)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: