Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» Hi and call sign request
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeToday at 6:02 am by GaryWilson

» Callsign Request
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:47 pm by GaryWilson

» Commtron cb 40f. Yes/no?
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by Sydthecat

» Another Idea
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:14 pm by AppleTree

» CB RADIO CONTACTS AND STORIES
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:00 pm by Mau5matt

» President Lincoln 11
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:24 pm by woodworm

» The Song Game
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:48 am by Ultimitmale (John)

» Keep up the good work.
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:21 am by Ultimitmale (John)

» new retro type audio cassette tape recorder/player
Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 am by rabbi

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
Telescopic Poles Vote_lcapTelescopic Poles Voting_barTelescopic Poles Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
Badgeruk1980
rabbi
Master Virus
mickyboy
Sgt Bilko
Ultimitmale (John)
Matt86
Fred in the shed
Keywords
Mckinley portable request Messages 6900n yaesu midland Gain president ss9900 antenna silver Sirio alan call gainmaster multi bash list Buxton sign lincoln Mobile wire callsign frequency
November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

Badgeruk1980, Farren, Mandinka, S.e.a.n, Vic

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Telescopic Poles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pappy Nick

QTH or Location : Bristol, UK
Call Sign : 26SW1919
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi ...

I’ve been watching a shed load of videos recently where dxers have been going up hills/mountains and using telescopic fibreglass poles to support diy coax antennas . Now, I quite fancy the idea of this and I was initially under the impression that I’d be able to use either a carp/roach pole or a flag/kite pole, but I’ve recently read that a fishing type pole won’t be any good as they’re not designed to withstand wind.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

Nick
Back to top Go down
26TC62

26TC62

QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 8:59 pm

The thing to watch out for with any kind of pole is that it is fibreglass (or some insulating material) and not carbon-fibre. Carbon fibre is an electrical conductor! Beyond the use of carbon fibre in many fishing poles I can't really think why anyone would advise you that they are no good. Poles are sold as fishing poles, flag poles, windsock poles etc but they are all the same thing.

I have a 7m (sold as a fishing pole) which stands up to gales perfectly well, and a 10m (windsock pole), both fibreglass and used all the time with a T2LT coax dipole or a home-made 5/8 wave on hilltops, beaches, and other odd scraps of land when I'm out portable. A 7m pole will typically weigh 750g, a 10m pole about 1.5kg and a 12m pole about 3kg. Depending how far you are going to have to walk the weight can be quite a consideration!
Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 am

26TC62 wrote:
Poles are sold as fishing poles, flag poles, windsock poles etc but they are all the same thing.

I have a 7m (sold as a fishing pole) which stands up to gales perfectly well, and a 10m (windsock pole), both fibreglass and used all the time with a T2LT coax dipole ...

Much Cheersness ..

That's just the kind of info I'm after Very Happy

Nick
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26CT1836 / Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi Nick I use a 'Spirit of air' pole has served me very well and is good quality. Here's a link. http://www.spiritofair.co.uk/telescopic_poles.htm

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Pappy Nick

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 am

Cheers Gary ...

I'll check 'em out.

Nick
Back to top Go down
26TC62

26TC62

QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 pm

My 10m is a Spirit of Air and interestingly they now have the 12m back in manufacture as well, which had been missing for a while. Might have to treat myself! I know some people have bought the 12m Spiderbeam which is superbly made but £££££.
Back to top Go down
Pacman

QTH or Location : Beddau
Call Sign : 163ct113
Equipment Used : Jackson2, crt6900n, Kenwood ts140s

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm

I use a 7m or 10m spirit of air and recently a 10m DX commander for the T2lt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Telescopic Poles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Poles   Telescopic Poles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Telescopic Poles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: