Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» Hi and call sign request
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeToday at 6:02 am by GaryWilson

» Callsign Request
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:47 pm by GaryWilson

» Commtron cb 40f. Yes/no?
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by Sydthecat

» Another Idea
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:14 pm by AppleTree

» CB RADIO CONTACTS AND STORIES
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:00 pm by Mau5matt

» President Lincoln 11
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:24 pm by woodworm

» The Song Game
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:48 am by Ultimitmale (John)

» Keep up the good work.
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:21 am by Ultimitmale (John)

» new retro type audio cassette tape recorder/player
AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 am by rabbi

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
AM antenna advice please... Vote_lcapAM antenna advice please... Voting_barAM antenna advice please... Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
AM antenna advice please... Vote_lcapAM antenna advice please... Voting_barAM antenna advice please... Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
rabbi
Master Virus
mickyboy
Sgt Bilko
Ultimitmale (John)
Matt86
Fred in the shed
Keywords
Mckinley portable lincoln multi alan Sirio Messages callsign call frequency midland yaesu list Buxton gainmaster sign silver wire 6900n president bash request Mobile ss9900 antenna Gain
November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

Badgeruk1980, Farren, Mandinka, S.e.a.n, Vic

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

AM antenna advice please...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoldVolvo

QTH or Location : IO83 Congleton, Cheshire
Equipment Used : Rotel RVC240/Cobra 19GTL at the moment

AM antenna advice please... Empty
PostSubject: AM antenna advice please...   AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi, I'd appreciate some advice on what would be the best antenna (I appreciate it can be subjective to some extent) for mainly monitoring AM CEPT frequencies.

Currently I have a stainless springer on a mag-mount in my car although this is mostly for my 27/81 rig & works well, have had contacts around 50 miles away on 4W

Also have a homebrew T2LT half-assedly tied to a fence post which is what my old Cobra 19GTL is hooked to. Now, I understand not many (if any?) folks are using the old AM 40 in the UK but I'm interested to try and pick up signals from further afield and possibly attempt contact.

SWR is reasonable but not great on the T2LT, well below 2 though & I currently have about S4 of noise into the rig & some slight speech-pattern esque wiggles of the needle on 19 and 6 but nothing audible I can decipher nor anything to break squelch. Hence I'm thinking of installing a more proper, dedicated antenna on the side of the house & interested to hear what anyone's thoughts are on this, whether it be "X antenna works great for me when the skip's running" through to "throw the Cobra out and get on SSB"... Although I'd like to persevere with AM if there's any chance at all, since it's the "original recipe" and what I started out using, same exact model of rig in a mate's car.

Cheers & 73's, Dan.
Back to top Go down
Vendee85

Vendee85

QTH or Location : Yeovil
Call Sign : CT2201/FB855/UK164 + others
Equipment Used : Yeasu FT891 MFJ Atu/Swr K40 Tankwhip x2 Mob whips 80/40/20

PostSubject: Re: AM antenna advice please...   AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi. Dan.

Check my post to Peter (Golden Eagle) y'day. (Should I get a Sirio
Boomerang). I'll also add AM will be a difficult mode atm on the
Low with SSB & FM. You'll be better on FM on net's etc. But you'll
have to open the squelch to get distant stations. I regularly get to
100/120mls.In 18mths it would be best to go SSB the World will
be your Oyster. Also it depends on the Qrm @ your Qth. I get S7/9
@ mine above 27.000 on Am/Fm. Good luck/Dx. 73's Mike.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26CT1836 / Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: AM antenna advice please...   AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 6:47 am

Hi Dan, AM is practically unused in the U.K now, the wiggles on your meter are probably SSB signals anyway. The T2LT is a half wave antenna so as good as anything that size, obviously a 5/8th wave antenna would step you up an s pint or two. The rule of thumb with antennas is the bigger the higher the better so do the best you can in your location. SSB really is where a lot of the action is now so that's the way to go in my opinion.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Master Virus

QTH or Location : Halifax
Call Sign : Romeo Echo 137
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 Antron 99

PostSubject: Re: AM antenna advice please...   AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:39 am

I like to go on am and have a listen and i do hear people on but like you say it's hard to understand what their saying.
I don't know if its because of my tiny antenna or i'm not high enough or both? it might be that their too far away or their in another country and the skip is bouncing them over to us?
But i'm like you i do like to listen on am because it seems to get a lot further and it goes back to the old days when the skip was at its highest and the americans seemed like they were just next door.
I remember back then talking to people thinking they were local and they were miles away or in another country and their signal was so strong.
I remember hearing a guy talking for a week and one day him shouting me and saying could i hear him? he was giving me nine pounds all week and he said he was from budapest.
I said yeah right, listen pal, i've been planked eight times this week and i don't believe you.
Turns out he was in Budapest and it was Simon the wizard, true story.
Back then though the americans were that strong i couldn't talk to my friends locally i was talking to americans till early hours of the morning.
I miss those days and talking to people far away. I'm in Halifax and i'm talking to Scotland Ireland Wales etc then i'm getting skip and i'm talking to newcastle, manchester, blackpool and all over the uk.
Then the conditions change and i'm talking to Greece, Spain, Italy, Africa,Cyprus, France and i'm like what the hell is going on with the weather?
But i'm like you i love to listen to am but the noise just gets crazy and sometimes its just as bad on fm.
Antennas i'm not too sure on for am but good luck.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AM antenna advice please...   AM antenna advice please... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AM antenna advice please...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: