Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» Southern Area SSB net
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:11 pm by THE RIZLA

» New member and call sign request pls (Issued)
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:44 pm by StevieG

» 5w or 10w of power
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:35 pm by GaryWilson

» Dave M0OGY In Radio User Magazine
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2019 6:07 am by Delboy

» FREQUENCY CHART GUIDE
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2019 5:00 pm by GaryWilson

» The Song Game
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2019 3:25 pm by morris

» Show us ya tree !
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 pm by redrobin5

» new membership needed ( sorted )
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 pm by Sydthecat

» New member requesting call sign (Issued)
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2019 6:47 pm by GaryWilson

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Vote_lcap Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Voting_bar Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
 Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Vote_lcap Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Voting_bar Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
mickyboy
Master Virus
rabbi
Ultimitmale (John)
Matt86
Sgt Bilko
Delboy
Keywords
Messages gainmaster callsign manuals Sirio division Service call Zetagi alan file yaesu antenna Mckinley president bash midland request silver frequency Gain sign ss9900 list Buxton lincoln
December 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 36 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 33 Guests :: 2 Bots

Daz, flashg0rd0n, Northern Crusader

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Call Sign : 108CT233
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R

Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 am

Hello all
I recently picked up one of these little Beofeng handsets and whilst watching videos on how to program it with CHIRP I saw CB had made a bit of a comeback but the thing that really caught my eye was SSB was now legal!
I started on the CB in the early '80s and soon graduated to sideband with my first SSB set a NATO 2000 which was stamped luckily for me as Buzby turned up to inspect my equipment and I am pleased to say he was an idiot who had no idea what he was looking at.  I worked my way through many sets Stalker 9F DX, Cobra 148GTL DX and ended up settling on a Uniden 28-30 which my local rig Dr Ghost Man fitted some bleed-over crystals and a nice tune to ensure all worked well.  My station ended up consisting of: Uniden 28-30 with Astatic teardrop speech processor Mike, Yaesu ATU, Antron 99 with ground plane kit and a 4 element Yagi on a rotator.  I had many QSL confirmed contacts from around the world including a marine in the first Dessert Storm in Iraq using a President Grant and a Antron 99 deployed in the field(That one always stuck in my mind)
Anyway I have picked up a CRT SS 9900 and home base antenna, will be setting back up in the next few days and look forward to maybe catching some 9f you on the Airwaves.

It is good to be back!

PS can I have a call sign please?

Last edited by Alan - Mirror Man on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StevieG

StevieG

QTH or Location : SW London
Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , 26-TG-987
Equipment Used : President GrantII JacksonII, CRTSS6900N, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull , Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 11:10 am

Hi Alan , welcome to the CTDX group 
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 am

Thank you, Steve
73's (I haven't used that in so long)
Alan
Back to top Go down
StevieG

StevieG

QTH or Location : SW London
Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , 26-TG-987
Equipment Used : President GrantII JacksonII, CRTSS6900N, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull , Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 11:51 am

Look forward to hearing you say it when the prop picks up (make the trip to Scotland often during peaks) 😊
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 2:18 pm

There is every chance of it, I have good elevation here and can look right across to the Gowan Hills, the only downside of living up a hill in Scotland is it can get a bit chilly at times!
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
Admin
Sydthecat

QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 3000, MD200 mic ,Vortex 4 ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi Alan and a very warm welcome to the group

I have great pleasure in issuing the 108CT233 call sign

Wishing you good luck and good Dx

Craig CT Admin 73
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Thank you very much indeed Craig, the last time I joined a DX'ing club we had to use a P.O. box for our QSL's, it was based in a town called Broadbottm and it would have raised a few smiles with my contacts I am sure. For the life of me, I can't recall what it was called Tango Alphas maybe?

Thanks again,

Alan 73
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26CT1836 / Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello Alan, welcome to the forum and back to the hobby, nice intro buddy!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Thank you, Gary.

It is my enthusiasm that you see coming through there mate!

Cheers Alan 73's
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 6:15 pm

It is indeed Alan,

Many of had a break from radio myself included, you know how it goes work, kids, partners and all, but the hobby stays in the blood and sooner or later we find those old rigs in the loft and boy oh boy the spending begins! Very Happy

Great to have you on board buddy!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man

Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 7:01 pm

The only thing that was still in the loft/shed after so many years and several moves was a seven-foot Firestick, now you don't see many of those around these days! We would drive up onto Werneth Lowe with small coil/whip, mag-mount then swap it out for the Firestick once parked up and get out for miles with it. I am trying to be sensible about spending(we will see how that works out) one thing I have found that is fairly inexpensive is SDR, a little dongle that plugs into my laptop and it gives you a great range of frequency in conjunction with HDSDR software. I have only tried it with smaller mobile antennas that are more band-specific but I have a feeling that once I connect a discone it will really open its reception up as it did when I did the same with a scanner many years ago...that can go on next months budget though!
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Ha ha! it didn't take you much Al, just the sight of a seven foot fire stick lols! I found my Harrier CBHQ a President JFK AM/FM Hi Mids & Lo, a Speedy valve linear amp, a Lemm 1/4 wave GP antenna and an assortment of other bits and bobs.

I set up again and to my surprise at the time there was an active bunch on channel 28 on the mids! Things have moved on since then, I am now a licensed amateur and spend most of my time on 20 & 40 meters.

I also enjoy DMR and Network radio. I belong to two radio clubs B.D.A.R.S in Bromley and C.P.R.E.C in Crystal Palace. Needless to say the shack has evolved as well! I have completed the first two tiers of radio license and done the course for the last tier but need to take the exam however I'm very busy and self employed so all in good time! Have a good evening buddy.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)    Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning to the Airwaves. (Issued)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: New Member Introductions-
Jump to: