The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group website. We welcome all radio enthusiasts. CB and 11m DX, 446Mhz, Amateur, SDR, LPD, Network Radio Discussions

HomeCalendarEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest News: You can now link your QRZ, QRZ11 and other social media profiles with your CT account
CT Summer Prize Draw: Win a Brand New President Mckinley 11m all mode radio!! See the Latest News forum for details.
Shop With Us: If you are looking to buy radios, antennas or other related equipment, take a look in our Amazon Store, the links are in the navigation.
Latest News: If you are trying to log in to this forum using the login details from the old forum they will not work. You must register a new account here to be able to post. Your CT call sign is still valid, you don't need another one.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Please check out the news forum for latest Buxton Updates.
Latest News: The CT website is now fully secure with an SSL certificate so you never have to worry about security or privacy when shopping on Charlie Tango.
Support Your Club: If you enjoy the forum and are able to, please consider contributing to the forum via the PayPal link in the navigation. Thank you.
Navigation

Shop By Category
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Information

shovel

radio

South Essex Asbestos Removal Services

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
Legal Information

Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» I need help please..... Need to buy a mobile antenna today - help
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 11:37 am by lloyd_1109

» Summer Prize Draw
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 11:35 am by Firetrap

» Happy to announce I got my licence!
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 11:22 am by 26ct762

» Member Intro
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by Dave OC

» New Member Introduction and CT call sign (Issued)
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 9:34 am by Dave OC

» Dx Q Codes List
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:10 am by NUBSTER

» HF v VHF UHF
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 7:53 am by 26cz455

» New Member (Issued)
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 7:33 am by StevieG

» New member introduction (Issued)
Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeToday at 7:32 am by StevieG

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking google      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
July 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 13 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 2 Bots

26ct762, 26cz455, Adam17, cmorris209, Dave OC, Firetrap, glenn dog, lloyd_1109, Offplanet, Ricochet, rocket, v8forlife, Victor

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Keywords
ss9900 list ss6900n Baofeng Sirio president midland sign radio Mckinley tango callsign power Calling call lincoln 9900 Mobile Buxton frequency antenna 6900n alan division yaesu ALINCO

Does anyone remember......

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jape

Call Sign : 26-CT-1894
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Eastbourne
Equipment Used : AT66 Gainmaster

Does anyone remember...... Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Back in the illegal days on AM the calling channel used to be 14. Doe anyone know why or when it changed to the current 19 ? is there some logical explanation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
Contributor
Contributor
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : PALMERS GREEN NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Yep I remember too mate , and I have always wondered the same ,it seemed to be a thing that happened when UKFM 27/81 started for some reason , if you remember when we was on AM we had a proper calling channel 14 and everyone abide to the rules (even though they were unwritten) by moving to  another channel once got a copy, back then TBH the 19 was really class as the mobile calling channel but it seemed as soon as it was made legal all that went out the window and people did what they wanted and basically cock it up ,the only reason I think the new UKFM breakers seemed to adopt 19 is because of they saw films like Convoy and and Smokey and the Bandit stuff and as those films was lorrys and mobile stuff in the U.S where they use 19 they just thought that was it ,now we dont have any calling channels if do call out on any of them either you get told to F.Off or tough CB ain't regulated I'll talk where I want ,makes me laugh all the idiots try to talk to each other all the 19 when they have 39 other empty channels to use but dont use instead they stay on the 19 use 200watts to talk to mate 100yrds away ,mind you theres no one on it at all ATM even with this lockdown that's going lol

Sorry I  went on a bit it's one of my pet peeves about calling channels/frequencies abuse use
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
Contributor
Contributor
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228
Times Thanked : 25
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 pm

For a trip down memory lane this seems to be the most accurate history of CB I've ever come across:-

The History of CB

Most of us, myself included, have a bit more of a "rose tinted" recollection of events Wink

Anyway, worthy of a read even if to pass the time with current events.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard.C

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : Ranger 2950DX, Albrecht 2990, Midland PortaPack, Cybernet Beta 1000, 2000, 3000, Amstrad 900, 901, Rotel RVC240, SMC Oscar 1, Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 Field, FT847, FT857, FT817

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Maybe it was different in other locations but in 1981 when I first got on to UK FM channel 14 was always the home base calling channel and 19 was used mobile. It was also well respected and used correctly that I can remember.

Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Crusader
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Ch14 was local calling channel on legal UK FM in my town.

From what I recall like Richard says Ch14 was for base and 19 for mobile so that locals didn't drown out the weaker mobile stations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jape

Call Sign : 26-CT-1894
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Eastbourne
Equipment Used : AT66 Gainmaster

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone remember......   Does anyone remember...... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 6:37 pm

I remember it as channel 14 and another channel 7 0r 9 - was reserved for emergncecy services although I never heard any.Seems to me 14 just diaappeared over night when it went legal, Nexrt day you turned the radio on and you couldn't get on any FM channel and they were bleeding over the am - and that led to the end of 14 as nebies were calling out for a copy on every single FM channnel. Think I gave up after about a week or so as fm was disorganised chaos.

I think 'going legal' killed CB rather more so than the FM frequncy with 12 on the end. Jus shows though - if enough people do something illrgal like AM CB the authorities hsvr to act. Wish we had all stuck to AM and not been conned into the FM thing which was a compromise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Does anyone remember......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: