Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Have You Just Arrived From Old Forum? : If you have then you need to click "Join CT" and register an account on this new forum. Your CT call sign is still valid and you don't need to apply for a new one.
CT Summer Prize Draw: Win a Brand New President Mckinley 11m all mode radio!! See the Latest News forum for details.
Still Time: There is still time to buy a ticket for the raffle. See news forum for details.
Latest News: If you are trying to log in to this forum using the login details from the old forum they will not work. You must register a new account here to be able to post. Your CT call sign is still valid, you don't need another one.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Latest News: The CT website is now fully secure with an SSL certificate so you never have to worry about security or privacy when online at Charlie Tango.
Thanks for your patience: We are glad you all approve of the changes and to the forum and for all the great feedback received. There are just a couple of creases to be ironed out now which are been currently worked on.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Introduction and Call-Sign Request
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 2:16 pm by W7AM

» SWR ZETAGI 203W HELP!
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 1:10 pm by 26cz455

» The lure of radio - why do you do it?
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by saltire

» Essex 27.305 USB - and thank you!
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 11:02 am by Victor

» Call sign request (Issued)
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 7:30 am by StevieG

» Call sign request (Issued)
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 7:29 am by StevieG

» call sign request
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 7:28 am by StevieG

» Greeting and request new call sign (Issued)
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeToday at 12:23 am by yb1tj

» Help with President McKinley.
80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:43 pm by Northern Crusader

Keywords
alan ALINCO 9900 radio yaesu power list Buxton chart midland frequency division Sirio call Mckinley callsign president 6900n lincoln sign ss9900 tickets tango antenna Mobile Calling
QRZ Database

80`s CB Shops

Go down 
AuthorMessage
morris
morris

Call Sign : CT11111
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : kent

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 11:39 am

Doe`s anyone remember a CB shop in Catford SE london? If memory serves me correctly it was called Busby`s, located above a shop on the one way system near the ABC cinema.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Rigs n twigs

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 pm

I do remember a CB shop there but not its name,while i was born in Catford i moved to deepest darkest Kent aged 9 in the late 70s but being interested in CB i did visit many CB shops..

There was a very good one in St May Cray called CB scene and i remember my father buying me a Cobra 148 gtl dx for my birthday via the under the counter method as those like many am/fm/ssb rigs were illegal.

Great post and stiring some memories right now..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
morris

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
I do remember a CB shop there but not its name,while i was born in Catford i moved to deepest darkest Kent aged 9 in the late 70s but being interested in CB i did visit many CB shops..

There was a very good one in St May Cray called CB scene and i remember my father buying me a Cobra 148 gtl dx for my birthday via the under the counter method as those like many am/fm/ssb rigs were illegal.

Wow you were a lucky lad getting a Cobra for your birthday, i do recall a CB shop in ST Marys Cray, our school bus used to drive past it once a week taking us to the near by playing fields Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
Cozzmik

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 4:52 pm

morris wrote:
Cozzmik wrote:

Wow you were a lucky lad getting a Cobra for your birthday, i do recall a CB shop in ST Marys Cray, our school bus used to drive past it once a week taking us to the near by playing fields Very Happy

Very lucky to have a Father who was into CB from the mid 70s so of course he got to use his present to me whenever he wanted to use my set up in my bedroom.
The CB shop i mentioned was down in the Star Lane area of Cray,bit rough back then but the rig shop did very well and i still remember the guy handing it under the counter..There was another in the one way system of Orpington and of course in 1981 many shops sold them incl Tandy,Currys,Dixons to name a few...Those were the days..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
morris

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
morris wrote:
Cozzmik wrote:

Very lucky to have a Father who was into CB from the mid 70s so of course he got to use his present to me whenever he wanted to use my set up in my bedroom.
The CB shop i mentioned was down in the Star Lane area of Cray,bit rough back then but the rig shop did very well and i still remember the guy handing it under the counter..There was another in the one way system of Orpington and of course in 1981 many shops sold them incl Tandy,Currys,Dixons to name a few...Those were the days..

Tandy Catford Broadway was always a favourite, i think they sold CB accessories and antennas even before they could legally sell radios. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
morris

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 11:07 pm

There was also a CB Shop on George St (old town) Hastings circa 80-81, no legal radios for sale there Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
Cozzmik

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 7:57 am

morris wrote:
There was also a CB Shop on George St (old town) Hastings circa 80-81, no legal radios for sale there Smile

I dont remember that one but i used to visit one in St Leonards often...along the seafront and it always had under the counter rigs..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
morris

80`s CB Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80`s CB Shops   80`s CB Shops Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
morris wrote:

I dont remember that one but i used to visit one in St Leonards often...along the seafront and it always had under the counter rigs..

I remember that one too, there was also a surplus shop near the small round about in Hastings that sold Legal radios and those little CB radio converter boxes, so many shops around in the 80`s but now we are left with just a handful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

80`s CB Shops
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: