Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Have You Just Arrived From Old Forum? : If you have then you need to click "Join CT" and register an account on this new forum. Your CT call sign is still valid and you don't need to apply for a new one.
CT Summer Prize Draw: The first number drawn will win a Brand New President Mckinley Tuned Export 11m all mode radio!! See the Latest News forum for details.
Runner-Up Prize: The second number to be drawn will win a £30 Paypal Gift. There is still time to get involved.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Just got my new licence
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:44 pm by Alan - Mirror Man

» Request a Call sign
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:09 pm by John123

» Call sign request (Issued)
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:07 pm by John123

» request call sign (Issued)
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 pm by John123

» New member introduction (Issued)
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:05 pm by John123

» Introduction & Call-Sign Request (Issued)
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:04 pm by John123

» HF 0-30mhz radios VS dedicated 11m Radios
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 10:59 am by Scan125

» Inline antenna matcher
Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeToday at 10:03 am by GaryWilson

Keywords
Mobile Mckinley radio Calling yaesu frequency callsign 9900 chart sign midland president antenna ss9900 power tickets alan Buxton tango lincoln Sirio division list ALINCO call 6900n
QRZ Database

Newbie to DX

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Froghop

Call Sign : 26-CT-3437
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Burton Joyce Nottinghamshire
Equipment Used : President Grant 2 CB

Newbie to DX Empty
PostSubject: Newbie to DX   Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi,

Froghop here...

Just raised a Silver Pole hoping to join in the dx fun... Hmmm I seem to be getting out about six miles at the moment...

Any suggestions as to how I can improve the tx radius... Receive is a little shallow too. I can hear people in Clifton Notts but very faint reception...

Is it simply that I need to put the Silver Pole on a scaffold pole and raise it to about 40ft... very difficult to do in my area...

Would a linear amp be an asset or is this not permitted on CB… Strange to give SSB to CB without the means to boom out over Europe...

My SWR is superb... no movement on the dial. 1 no 1.2 or 1.3 etc.

What is the best time and frequencies to listen out on for late night DX?

I would like to thank 26 Charlie Tango 1554 for coming back to my 19 for a radio check... at least I know I am getting out...

So... Hope this is well received as a post... even if the answer is …. no chance of DX... at least I will know...

Cheers

26 Charlie Tango 3437

Froghop.

Hi

Thank you for such constructive replies... All comments make sense to me.

Did not know about the timings being so critical but better informed for the future. Height is an issue but something I can work on... Perhaps lifting the pole another 3 ft... SSB has an output of 12W... which should be okay... plenty of power... as it all depends on the aerial and the conditions...

Looking forward to trying out the suggestions from you all... 73's

Froghop

Last edited by Froghop on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard.C

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : Ranger 2950DX, Albrecht 2990, Midland PortaPack, Cybernet Beta 1000, 2000, 3000, Amstrad 900, 901, Rotel RVC240, SMC Oscar 1, Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 Field, FT847, FT857, FT817

Newbie to DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie to DX   Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 7:30 pm

How high did you get the antenna and are you in a built up area or high ground in the countryside?

All can make a big difference.

Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Crusader
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Newbie to DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie to DX   Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 4:39 pm

What distance you can get locally has very little bearing on how far you can get DX. Local is line of sight so things like hills in the way can limit your distance. With DX your signal bounces off the ionosphere so doesn't have that limit. I've worked Europe sat in my car in my driveway using just 4W. The furthest I've managed with a single watt on SSB on the 17m ham band was 6500 miles to Argentina.

11m CB band is daytime band so you'll get no DX on a night time. Basically you've got between 30 minutes before sunrise to about an hour after sunset where you can work DX on the 11m band. If you want DX on a night time you need to get an amateur radio licence and use the 40m and 80m band.

Working DX is more about conditions and the luck of the draw rather than power. Here's a video of me in 2014 having a 4155 mile QSO with AU3NIAR in Hyderabad in India using a President Lincoln running just 20W and breaking through a pileup. I'd have still done it with the 12W legal limit for SSB on CB. Many of those stations were running 1.5kW into beams on big towers and closer to him than me. At that moment when I made the call everything was just in my favour. That's what makes DXing special. If you run 100s of watts into beams and can work DX at the drop of a hat it takes the fun out of it. I had a full legal limit amp, ran at the legal limit of 400W. Had it a week and sold it because working DX was about as much fun as watching paint dry, it took all the challenge out of it. Anyway back to the video....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bean

Times Thanked : 3

Newbie to DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie to DX   Newbie to DX Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 6:08 pm

The higher your antenna is above the ground the lower the main lobe of radiation becomes this is what you want not only for DX ( +2000miles ) but also for extended local contacts via TrE . I wouldn't get to hung up on actual distances as whilst places like Southern Africa or South America are further away its alot harder to work shorter distances to the East than going to the South , in 2018 I worked the Falklands and India (5/8th vert ) on 10m and whilst I dont know the exact distances I would think that the Falklands is over twice the distance but the Indian contact gave the more buzz.Come June/July you may hear and even be able to work USA/Canada till about midnight (on a good day) ,propagation wise its alot easier to work DX on 11m than 10m so if its being done on 10m then it can be done on 11m (and I know it has been from others ) Working DX at Solar minimum on the higher HF can be great fun .
Good luck in your endeavours
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Newbie to DX
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: