The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group website. We welcome all radio enthusiasts. CB and 11m DX, 446Mhz, Amateur, SDR, LPD, Network Radio Discussions

HomeCalendarEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest News: You can now link your QRZ, QRZ11 and other social media profiles with your CT account
CT Summer Prize Draw: Win a Brand New President Mckinley 11m all mode radio!! See the Latest News forum for details.
Shop With Us: If you are looking to buy radios, antennas or other related equipment, take a look in our Amazon Store, the links are in the navigation.
Latest News: If you are trying to log in to this forum using the login details from the old forum they will not work. You must register a new account here to be able to post. Your CT call sign is still valid, you don't need another one.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Please check out the news forum for latest Buxton Updates.
Latest News: The CT website is now fully secure with an SSL certificate so you never have to worry about security or privacy when shopping on Charlie Tango.
Support Your Club: If you enjoy the forum and are able to, please consider contributing to the forum via the PayPal link in the navigation. Thank you.
Navigation

Shop By Category
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Information

shovel

radio

South Essex Asbestos Removal Services

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
Legal Information

Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» I need help please..... Need to buy a mobile antenna today - help
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:29 pm by stephen Gunrunner

» Happy to announce I got my licence!
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by Adam17

» Summer Prize Draw
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:35 am by Firetrap

» Member Intro
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by Dave OC

» New Member Introduction and CT call sign (Issued)
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:34 am by Dave OC

» Dx Q Codes List
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:10 am by NUBSTER

» HF v VHF UHF
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:53 am by 26cz455

» New Member (Issued)
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:33 am by StevieG

» New member introduction (Issued)
QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:32 am by StevieG

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking google      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
July 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 11 Registered, 2 Hidden and 41 Guests :: 2 Bots

26ct762, 26cz455, Adam17, cmorris209, Dave OC, Firetrap, glenn dog, lloyd_1109, Offplanet, Sarah.H, stephen Gunrunner

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Keywords
9900 antenna alan ALINCO ss6900n callsign midland list yaesu lincoln president call 6900n power radio Mobile sign frequency tango Calling Buxton Mckinley Baofeng division ss9900 Sirio

QRM problem

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 112
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

QRM problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 8:01 am

Hi Jason,

It can be done fairly quickly. There are three levels of licence the first one is the foundation. It gets you on air with a power limit of 10 watts, but don't think that's particularly restrictive on 20 meters I've seen America worked on 5 watts!

You will need to buy the foundation book from the RSBG website and study the material within. There are some practical elements which are being wavered at the moment because of social distancing. The exam can be taken online for the same reason so it's a good time to do it!!

The foundation is designed to attract people into the hobby and isn't particularly challenging.

I spend most of my time on 20 & 40 meters at the moment for exactly the reason Connor has stated. When 11 meters is closed for propagation 20 & 40 are still buzzing!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
STARSHIP
Contributor
Contributor
STARSHIP

Call Sign : 26CT695/M3PIE
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Equipment Used : KENWOOD TS-570DG,

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 10:26 am

JasonRees wrote:
It was only £20 so I'm ok with it.
How long does it take to get the licence?

that depends how quick you learn enough to sit and pass the easy exam, then on passing a week to ten days. depends on holidays. more details in the amateur radio section on this forum.
you can do a online course and exam now. simple.
mark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JasonRees
JasonRees

Call Sign : 163-CT-239
Times Thanked : -1
QTH or Location : South Wales
Equipment Used : President grant II thunderpole 5

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Well i just took the online mock 26 questions and scored 21/26.
Anyone know what the pass mark is?
I'm not concerned with the practical side as i'm a mechanical/electrical engineer by trade for the last 15 years and have been soldering boards and repairing various high and low voltage cables in some very complex machines.
As i'm still furloughed for at least another two weeks i think i'll get this done.
I've just ordered the foundation book!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pagan
Contributor
Contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 20
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 5:04 pm

JasonRees wrote:
Well i just took the online mock 26 questions and scored 21/26.
Anyone know what the pass mark is?
I'm not concerned with the practical side as i'm a mechanical/electrical engineer by trade for the last 15 years and have been soldering boards and repairing various high and low voltage cables in some very complex machines.
As i'm still furloughed for at least another two weeks i think i'll get this done.
I've just ordered the foundation book!

The pass mark is 19 from 26 according to this link:

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/online-exams/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JasonRees
JasonRees

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Interesting......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
26TC62
Contributor
Contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 7:20 pm

The RSGB board were on Calum M0MCX's Youtube "show" a couple of weeks ago and said there were 80 people who were first in the queue because their club had entered them pre-lockdown. Since then it's emerged that since it was opened up online without the need to go through a club they have had 500 applications (one of which is me - I applied on the first day and am awaiting a test date).

Edit - hadn't seen this on the RSGB website but it is illuminating

https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/headlines/2020/05/01/also-in-gb2rs-this-week-257/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JasonRees
JasonRees

PostSubject: Re: QRM problem   QRM problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Oh that's a long waiting list.
It's too long for me as I'm half way through my gas ticket for work. I will be straight back on with that when I go back .
I'll wait I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

QRM problem
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: