Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 11:20 am by ranger

» New Member Callsign Request (Issued)
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by GaryWilson

» Call sign (Issued)
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 10:05 am by GaryWilson

» Foundation
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 9:43 am by Alan Pilot

» Alloy scaffold pole
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 9:32 am by Alan Pilot

» Introduction & call sign request (Issued)
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 9:07 am by GaryWilson

» Call sign request (Issued)
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 9:02 am by GaryWilson

» CRT SS 9900 Reset question
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 8:57 am by Ethergoddle

» Sigma skipmaster
pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeToday at 7:38 am by Alan Pilot

Keywords
Calling ss6900n Mckinley radio charlie Mobile alan tickets division chart tango ss9900 midland sign president antenna callsign frequency power Sirio list 9900 bazooka lincoln 6900n call
QRZ Database

pulling my hair out

Go down 
AuthorMessage

pulling my hair out Empty
PostSubject: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello All.

I have a problem that's seems to keep growing. The story so far. radio is a SS6900n mic is a Zetagi MB=5 antenna A99. All started with reports of a buzzing with my audio,, I was told it sounded like a battery charger, so moved the power supply, no better, played with the mic gain on the mic and in the radio,, no improvement.. now the plot thickens, I added an extension speaker, all was well but the buzzing was still there, put on a standard mic and still got the buzz but not so loud, Then I tried sideband, now I have some kind of bleed over to the speaker, sounds like someone blowing over the mic when power peeks, this happens with both mics and all power levels.
Im thinking the buzz maybe mains hum but the feed back has me clueless.

70thirds Tom

Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 10:03 pm

The noise in the speaker sounds like RF pickup on the speaker cable, and it could be the problem generally that you've got RF floating around in the shack. Is there a buzz or distortion on your transmitted SSB signal?

Either way, some choking is probably called for. If you can't get to the base of the A99 to put a choke in there - 6 turns of coax about 4.5" is a reasonable start - do it wherever you can where the coax comes into the house of shack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Thanks 62,
not sure about the buzz on trans in ssb havent managed to get a radio check on ssb yet, but all you have said makes sense, looks like a busy day tomorrow...
Cheers Tom 73s
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : This n that

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 6:42 am

I had a similar thing when i used a a99 and the choke/balun worked wonders...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Hello Both.

Well I made up a coil this morning,,,,, 6 turns at 4.625", approx. midway in the coax run.... no difference at all. the only way I could stop the buzz was to run less than one watt. As ive said alls well on Fm and AM, upper s/b is a tag worse than lower s/b.... amplifying mic or standard mic its the same, standard speaker or extension speaker I still have the buzz, no matter what frequency I use. Im wondering if fitting the ground plain would help, but then I have a problem of space,,,, cant the g/p be chopped about a bit, or can I just run copper wires from the shield side of the coax as a g/p or run to earth,,, I don't know im at a loss and running out of thatch lol hadn't got that much to start with.........
73s both Tom
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 23
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 1:55 am

26cz455 wrote:
Hello Both.

Well I made up a coil this morning,,,,, 6 turns at 4.625",

5 turns of 4.25" would be better as that would be tuned to blocking common mode RFI at 27MHz. Making it 7 turns drops where it works down to 20MHz so your choke was probably working somewhere between 20-24MHz, not 27MHz where you need it. Air wound chokes are quite narrow banded so the dimensions are very critical, get it wrong and you can actually make it worse.

It also wants to be at the antenna ideally and you also want to be keeping the coax from touching the pole the antenna is mounted on if you're not running ground planes.

Have you tried running off a car battery?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Hello Northern,

I see, in my own defence I know nothing of chokes, next point, Yes I did run off a car battery, didn't make any difference. Now getting back to the choke, I can see now that the dimensions are important,,, and at present I cant get to the antenna ( health reasons have to wait for help). Now one thing you said started bells ringing here,,,, the coax is taped to the mounting pole over most of its length ( that's about 10ft) did it like that to stop it banging about and getting damaged.. So what sort of space would be good, could I use nylon spacers to hold the coax but stand it off from the pole say 4"...... Ok open question to All,,,, im using rg58 said to mil spec mmmm 40 years ago I was throwing away better stuff than this,, any suggestions for a replacement, needs to be pliable and easily worked
cheers N/C Tom 70threes all
Back to top Go down
Markone
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 8:45 am

hi I am watching your post with interest because have very similar problem.I get a crackle on usb but on fm only get the crackle when audio is heard.this happens on both radios so to some up rx is poor but tx is very good.the radios are a midland 88s and crt9900 both standard and antenna is a silver rod with base approx 20 foot off the ground.the coax is rg58 and taped to the pole,will try a few of the suggestions this weekend and see if anything changes.good luck.73s
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 9:30 am

Hello Mark
Mine was only on transmit,,, and sounded like blowing hard across the mic,, I tried both standard and power mic, only difference was the volume , tried holding the mics at different distances from my mouth and raised and lowered my voice, again just a drop in volume.
I am going to re wind the ballan to proper size and try that.... I have some help today so antenna is going to get a seeing too.......... I may end up buying a large megaphone, standing on my roof and shouting like hell............... the men I white coats may call on me but what the hell lol
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 23
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 12:44 am

26cz455 wrote:
Now one thing you said started bells ringing here,,,, the coax is taped to the mounting pole over most of its length ( that's about 10ft) did it like that to stop it banging about and getting damaged.. So what sort of space would be good, could I use nylon spacers to hold the coax but stand it off from the pole say 4"

That'd probably do it, should mitigate it quite a lot as RF power density falls away quite rapidly.

I had to learn the lesson about using a balun but the coax taped to the mast and still getting it myself. Couldn't work out why it didn't work at first but then I had a lightbulb moment and realised that by taping the coax to the mast which was hot with RF it would just get onto the coax after the balun from there. So I've been there, made that very mistake. Once I'd removed the tape even with the coax just hanging down from the antenna away from the mast it sorted it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Markone
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 8:37 pm

hi tom I had a mad weekend but managed to get the ladder out and untapped the coax from the pole and make a temp rf choke,still waiting for plumber mate to bring 4 1/4 inch pipe,nothing worked.So put a radio in my car and crackle gone,so its antenna or electrical system but still getting good dx so might have to live with it.hope you get it sorted
73s mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chazwozza

QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:34 am

Try another Aerial
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 9:02 am

Hi Chaz.
I did mate had a Silver Rod before the A99,,,,, it was the same... Something I have found.. Last night I was up late and put the radio on and flicked around,,,,, there was 7-8lbs of hash right across the board so my problem isn't coming from the Ch19 muppets,,, for sure they don't help but still have the underlying problem. Im going to try a bit of wire this morning,, just a listening twig so wont be messing with swr,,, I want to see if the hash level drops or increases .. Then is new coax thinking of trying 213 or mini 8,,, with a choke, if that fails then its furry rings on every cable
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pulling my hair out   pulling my hair out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pulling my hair out
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: