Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
New eQSL Email Service: Exchange eQSL cards quickly and easily with your very own eQSL email address like this... 26CT000@eQSL.me or 26CT000@charlietango.co.uk - See Latest News forum for more details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna installation - best practice
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeToday at 1:37 pm by Swadeyboy

» Hello and Callsign request (Issued)
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:26 pm by sonicblue62

» stereo aiwa speakers
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:19 pm by rabbi

» CT call for pmr/11mtr. (Issued)
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by StevieG

» Southern Area SSB net
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 11:18 pm by THE RIZLA

» Any 2E1...Stations on here at all
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 8:17 pm by STARSHIP

» RF Dummy Load - DIY
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 pm by Swadeyboy

» 11meter wire antennas
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 pm by leno51

» Hello! New member and Call sign request! (Issued)
Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 6:26 pm by ashjstarr

Keywords
call tickets ss9900 chart ALINCO power frequency list alan 6900n antenna lincoln Buxton radio Sirio 9900 sign Calling yaesu callsign bazooka president division Mckinley midland Mobile
QRZ Database

Home-Base: High Noise Level

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bev Wyatt

Call Sign : 26-CT-3574
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Diss Norfolk
Equipment Used : Yeast ft757GX,president jackson 2 classic/serio gainmaster 5/8wavelength also a ham jumbo super delux and an expanded alinco.

Home-Base: High Noise Level Empty
PostSubject: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi everybody I have a serious problem, RF, I have 9 pound of the stuff all day a and it only drops at around 11 o'clock at night, I have turned all the electrics off in the house at the mains, still 9 pounds,I then connected to a charged car battery but still there,I am using at the moment a himalaya5/8 antenna,I can transmit and be heard really well but when they return the contact I can't hear half of them,this is doing my head in,how can I stop all this RF or at least drop it down.Help.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTang
Contributor
Contributor
MrTang

Call Sign : 26-CT-3732
QTH or Location : Stone, Staffordshire
Equipment Used : President Lincoln MKII V3

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 am

I notice the same in my building. Don't think its electrical, more related to the actual brickwork picking it up.
Maybe copper rods into the soil might help.
If i go outside car to car noise drops from 7 to 1
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://t.me/CBUK27
Nik70UK

Call Sign : 26-CT-3648
QTH or Location : Camborne
Equipment Used : CRT SS7900

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am

Hi Bev, I came across this last night. Some of it is way above what I understand,  but there some links and ideas that may help.
73's
Nik

http://www.m0nwk.co.uk/mains-electricity-filter-for-emc-noise-reduction/

Bev Wyatt likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bev Wyatt

Equipment Used : Yeast ft757GX,president jackson 2 classic/serio gainmaster 5/8wavelength also a ham jumbo super delux and an expanded alinco.

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 am

Thankyou mr tang and nik70uk for your help on this matter, now I have a project to keep me busy for a while, will let you know the results later. Many thanks,CT3574-ww692!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228
Times Thanked : 42
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 am

Hi Bev,

You're going to get loads of ideas, some simple, some a bit more complicated.
(I'm going to waffle now, bear with me, these are my own experiences...)

In my own quest to sort out interference I nearly went nuts, figured most of it was down to my neighbours and luckily calmed down before I started doing anything stupid Wink

Years ago everyone complained we were interfering with their TV reception etc. due to our CB radio antics.
"Must be you.... You've got that stinking big aerial up!", they'd say...
Nowadays it's us on the brunt end of interference with just about every electronic device kicking out spurious radio signals Sad

You've done the basic tests, (switching off electrics etc.), and still have the problem.
You can go mobile and get away from the interference or even move to an out of the way location, but Diss is hardly a metropolis area is it? Wink

Most of my noise was coming through the mains wiring - even when you switch off the electrics it's still coming through, an RF "sniffer" or simple AM/MW radio proves that. But, if you had a communications receiver you'll see that most, (not all, the "new" and WARC bands etc.), are actually free from interference. That's because the power companies had to start filtering that hash out! Unfortunately CB frequencies aren't catered for.....although you will find mid-band/EU/CEPT is actually less affected.

So, a mains filter might help but I didn't find much of an improvement.

Ground rods......
Hmmm, unless you know what you're doing I personally wouldn't start mucking about with them. You could make your antenna a fantastically efficient lightning rod, your mains protection unable to function, (think street grounds and neutral bond looping), and even pick up noise from the ground!

QRM eliminators....
You can buy them, (usually expensive), or make them. I'm lucky I was able to make one. What a PITA that thing was!
Some people claimed to have good luck with them, most example videos show them to be great, (usually heavily doctored to get you to buy their product), but what a pain. You fiddle, tune, change 'noise' antennas and on it goes. Get one frequency clear and the moment you QSY you have to fiddle with the damn thing again! Yep, not the 'magic' solution.

Working with your neighbours.....
Yeah, good luck with that one. They don't care about your radio 'hobby', they won't let you start fiddling with RF chokes on their TVs etc. and it won't take long before they swing it back around to you and blame your CB for their Wi-Fi dropping out 'sometimes'. 
Heck, I've even heard people blame CB for making their 12 year old, 300,000 mile washing machine play up!!
I have a neighbour with a spangly solar panel roof...damn thing could transmit across the cosmos to other intelligent life...do you think they care about my radio? Ha, not one flipping bit!

Not sounding good is it? Wink .....bear with....

Antennas....
It's well known that different antennas have different noise responses, by design or their efficiency increasing your signal AND noise floor. You'll get differences of opinion on types of antennas, manufacturers and makes, loops, end feds, deltas, on and on it goes. Most of us get stuck in that quest for the 'holy grail's of antennas...and why not? For most of us it's flipping fun and we grow the proverbial 'antenna farm'. If that's for you, sure, give it a go.

OK, pause, pant, deep breath...we're getting somewhere.

This so far is what I went through. Not much fun is it? So what did I do....

Turned my RF gain down and switched my noise blanker on!!!!!!!

No way?!! Yep, flipping worked and amazing we miss the simple stuff! If your RF gain is cranked all the way up, you're also pulling in all the crap. Got a weaker signal? Seems counter intuitive to turn the RF gain down doesn't it? But you'd be amazed how their signal suddenly jumps out at you. I won't go into technical nonsense but your radio often works better with that gain knocked slightly down.

Noise Blanker, (NB), Automatic Noise Limited, (ANL), or any other fancy thing a manufacturer calls it. These can be surprisingly effective but sometimes with a catch....on my own 40 year old Yaesu it's NB is fantastic, so long as I do the opposite of what I've just said and turn the RF gain all the way up! Again, technical nonsense explains it but if you 'boost' the noise the blanking circuits work better.

Flip...after all that I found a simple solution Wink

I know, can't be true....but give it a go, would've saved me a lot of trouble if I'd had that little tip.

I went from S9 of hash on the triple 5 to S2 with that simple exercise. What a dumb f**** I am! Very Happy

Anyway, (waffle over), keep at its there's bound to be more suggestions but worth trying simple stuff first.
(Like the 'clarify' control, not all of us are bang on frequency and that can often improve a DX contact).

Oh, before I go. A friend had similar issues....we tried everything....until I noticed the rusty old PL259 hanging out the bottom of his antenna. We changed that and amazingly his noise virtually disappeared! Like I said, the simple stuff Wink

Let us all know how you get on.

All the very best to you,
Victor

Firetrap, Sydthecat, NUBSTER, GaryWilson, springer75, glenn dog, Cozzmik and like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bovril

Call Sign : 26-CT-3694
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ruislip, London.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000D

PostSubject: Using the Noise Blanker   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Victor,

That was a very informative post you entered regarding reducing the RF gain then utilising the Noise Blanker, thanks.

Bovril

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 5:35 am

Hi Mike,

If my waffle could help even one person then I'm grateful Smile So thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 163-CT-220
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Rci 2950dx ,,,Yaesu FT-450D

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 6:52 am

Victor your "waffle " can be very interesting you carry on all you want.
I found the RFgain and NB to be the fix for me especially on my FT-450d not as good on my RCI-2950 but helps a lot.
I think people think the RFgain has to be up full or they might miss something but folks just try it you will still hear the station and it might not sound as strong but in reality if you think about it with the rf turned up full what is the loud noise you hear yes it's noise not the operator you want to contact.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTang
Contributor
Contributor
MrTang

Call Sign : 26-CT-3732
QTH or Location : Stone, Staffordshire
Equipment Used : President Lincoln MKII V3

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 am

works good, back it down till noise near gone and the voice pops out of it. Less irritating also when leaving it on standby.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://t.me/CBUK27
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets Pama GT-19

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 11:16 am

Hi 👋🏻 
I had the same issue. 
Went through lots of ideas to cut the interference down and 
ended up with the same solution. 
RF Gain down a bit and use the NB/ANL and Hi cut. 
Not perfect but way better than before!🥳

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bev Wyatt

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 11:51 am

Thanks for all the info victor, There is a lot of info there for new comers to C T cropped cheers mate.

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Home-Base: High Noise Level   Home-Base: High Noise Level Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 5:46 pm

No worries Bev,

I appreciate the feedback and thanks, so you're very welcome.

It seems my 'waffle' was appreciated or helped by more than just yourself and maybe read by and helped others without my even knowing. In which case, I thank you for posting on the forum. It all adds to the Charlie Tango experience Smile

All the best,
Victor

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Home-Base: High Noise Level
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: