Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 12:52 pm by NUBSTER

» Astatic D-104 Silver Eagle Microphone
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 11:33 am by NUBSTER

» Which SSB radio?
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 11:00 am by peetassen

» Lw10 long wire
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 10:58 am by peetassen

» Southern Area SSB net
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 10:55 am by Razz229

» Call sign request
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeToday at 10:36 am by GaryWilson

» Foundation check
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Paddy

» Intro and a CT c/s request (issued)
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:22 pm by Paddy

» Application for a CT Call Sign and a short introduction (Issued)
Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:18 pm by Paddy

Keywords
Mckinley tango division yaesu 6900n midland alan sign charlie Calling Sirio 9900 callsign bazooka Mobile tickets lincoln power ss9900 antenna frequency president list call ss6900n radio
QRZ Database

Trips Down Memory Lane

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Trips Down Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am

Hi all,

There doesn't seem to be an appropriate area on the forum for such stuff and as some of us went a bit 'off topic' on someone else's posting, (tut, tut Wink), I thought I'd start a new topic.

So with that, do you have any old memory joggers? Wish to reminisce? Old pictures to prod the old grey matter?

We'll do our very best to keep it radio and associated aspects, (places you bought from, old CB adverts, magazines, electronics if it involved radio, etc.) Or even stories of old, big meet-ups, Eyeball events, Ham rallies, etc.

Thought it might be a bit of fun......and keep some of us old farts from spoiling someone else's posting Very Happy

I had thought 19-clickety-click and before, but as that was over 20 years ago now(!) I wouldn't want to leave out our younger audiences. So anything goes really.

Let's see how it goes.

Al the best,
Victor

NUBSTER, John123, GaryWilson, morris, 43CT016 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am

Here you go Jeff (42CT016),

The first catalogue I remember ordering parts for my radio interests from :-

Trips Down Memory Lane Maplin11

Before that it was all mail order from the adverts in the back of the old electronic and radio magazines of the day!

[Edit] This catalogue cover was from 1979!

Last edited by Victor on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 am

Morning Victor.
Sat refreshing the page on the Amp post waiting for the next but i see you did start a new post.
Proper admin style lol.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 am

Truck king i used to buy from a lot mid block ic's and just general bits.
We had a local guy that sold run of the mill bit's but nothing i ever wanted but he did the markets round North Wales and collected repairs in for me so i spent some time in his little shop in the evenings.
There was another i bought from but for the life of me i can't remember the name.
Back in the early 80's it was Stockport cb centre on the A6 that was the place to get whatever you wanted on the counter or under it lol.

NUBSTER, John123, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 44
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Pre legal CB days ( mid 70s) we had a shop called Good Buddys which was situated in South Street off the Hertford Road in Ponders End Enfield, they sold everything for CB apart from the radios (wink wink) you had to know the owners pretty well for side of it ,anyway as CB got more popular this shop moved to Enfield Highway still on the Hertford Road and changed its name to Skyriders by then it became the main shop to go to for CB equipment inc radios even though we was about a year before legalisation they was selling AM radios they had found a loophole on selling them as just recivers or as kits which basically if you did a bid of soldering with the instructions supplied they would work as a fully working radio but they had to advise you not to (wink wink) for legal reasons anyway as I siad it was the shop to go to and when it was CB was legal that shop was packed every Saturday myself and my cousin Barry use help out there on those days you could get everything in shop , then as time went on CB was still popular but all the big shops started selling stuff like Halfods Currys Dixsons so the independent shops started to get less busy any as time went on Skyriders decided to downgrade and move to a smaller shop in Green Street by Brimsdown train station Enfield which there it ended its days because CB had become so popular I think then everyone had one plus it was the beginning of home computers and mobile phone was just starting to come out the downfall of CB radio.

Last edited by NUBSTER on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total

GaryWilson, morris, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Also I remember some other shops Zulu 14 in  Leytonstone High Street and Mura warehouse up by Brent Cross somewhere , Frequency27 ( AA Aerials) in Wood Street Walthamstow, also remember the the big eyeballs at The Royalty Dance Hall in Southgate N14 (which isn't there now) that was a biggie most of the other eyeballs was in a pub car park .

GaryWilson, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stephen Gunrunner
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX26DD666.
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : ss9900 mass dx 5000 sirio 4000hp sirio 5000 turbo trimag tti 801 crt7u crt space-u pmr

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 pm

the legal days and before days siting at work had a maxcom 20e in the car, and a 7foot fire stick on the car roof with mag mount only for square wheeled, and put out for rig check and got a voice back now the radio was 3.5w and got chatting to , the hillbilly now from my work to his 20, as the crow fly's 70miles now i thought this is some one taken the mick,but it was real hillbilly was at 2000ftasl on the Durham Cumbria and Northumberland border a card arived a very nice card we had a eyeball and had many happy chat every lunch time, and that was the start of many happy contacts, yes i miss the days but we never had like it was in the towns, but up them hills every week end and fantastic contacts and and then Am ssb radios and then we got our radios from a local man he got them in from southern Island they were called Haldane you put your order in and he would get you the radio and let you know its here pay the money and get your radio , and for a small price he would open it up to get uk 40 plus, great days and many happy days up in the hills. now all the good lads have gone there was a net on every day and night lunch time tea time night time there used to be thirty on and it was great now up in north Northumberland there is just two but we are still on he is my young bro and we use the cb, and just started to use pmr so there is still life here.

GaryWilson, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 4:18 pm

I got into cb about 2008? 2009? I was very young (mind you I'm only 25 now.) and only had a little moonraker minor and a small little 2ft mag mount and antenna on a biscuit tin, wouldn't get many contacts, 2 maximum!

Anyway after about a year I begged and pleaded with my mum and for Christmas she got me a superstar 3900 with a frequency counter and a I think it was like a 20ft thunder pole 1/4 wave antenna and mounted it on side of the house (I could be wrong to the antenna but either way, was a gurt big metal antenna). But didn't stop there managed to wear me mum down enough to take me up on the hills on the weekend and suddenly fully experienced 27.555 fully alive, could never get a word in because it was jam packed but those were the days. Will always be thankful to me mum for putting up with driving me around basically listening to static 😂

NUBSTER, GaryWilson, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Great stories guys! Smile

I remember buying CB spares from 'Truck King' Alan, also 'Vanners' and I think old 'Knights' have been around forever and carried a good range of spares at one time. Before that it was a case of browsing the magazine's and sending off for parts from the USA that seemed to take weeks before you got your parts.

We had an electrical shop in the old Victorian Firehouse/Station in Bedford that sold CB's called 'Civics'. Old 'Hobbs' in Luton would sell you anything you wanted Wink
Getting to know a trucker or two would yield some good old sideband rigs or info of where you could meet up 'and-bring-cash'. Ha! (Proper cash too, a roll of 'greenies'!)

The Chelsea Bridge Run, London, would usually have someone with a boot full of illegal rigs. Pretty sure that was where I got my old fake front TriStar 777 from with it's FM1, FM2...etc. instead of USB, LSB...

There was always someone on air too and a quick 'on-the-side' would get you in on the chat and often an impromptu 'eyeball' in some pub car park or roadside cafe. Usually rigs changed hands too. (I was forever trading rigs back then, the quick boredom of youth and forever after the next 'best' thing!)

There were more CB clubs than you could shake a stick at too as everyone started a CB club!

I think Martin's right though, CB shops disappeared as did the electronic shops and every plonker was after a 'home computer' or 'games console' during the 80's. With the failure of commercial UK CB, (stores gave away CB's with every purchase of a new TV or other such), it could do nothing but change.

My mates would no longer be wanting to ride to London in the rain on the bikes, but stay at home 'peeking' and 'poking', (one for the Sinclair fans), or beating their high score on the Atari.....I even changed jobs from an engineering company to a flipping computer firm. Like everyone else, I went with the money.

But just as I had done since I was a kid, I attended the various Ham rallies/bring and buys to pick up an interesting radio for a bit of SWL, (usually after a repair to said radio!), bought my radio components and always came home with at least a reel of solder.

It was a unique time back then for CB and couldn't be repeated.

Thinking on it was probably the fun of CB that meant I didn't become one of those burly, fat, old, grey haired moaning Hams I saw at the rallies. Then I got burly, fat, old and grey haired myself.....tried to recapture the magic of CB but then became a Ham instead. Ironic eh?! Very Happy

But CB radio will always have a special place in my heart. I can tell it does for many of you too.

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and 43CT016 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Brilliant story Tim! 👍 Smile

I knew our younger members would have great stories too. Your Mum sounds like a star!

"....listening to static". Fair old wet me'self laughing! Very Happy

GaryWilson and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Victor wrote:
Brilliant story Tim! 👍 Smile

I knew our younger members would have great stories too. Your Mum sounds like a star!

"....listening to static". Fair old wet me'self laughing! Very Happy

Yeah she was, because she grew up in the area around the time it became legal and before legislation, every now and again she'd hear a voice she knew from back in the day or handle and she'd rip the microphone off me and give them a call 😂

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Ah, explains it all seeing as she was a 'breaker' herself. Still really good of her to influence you and push that interest Smile

My grandkids love my 'radio room'. My grandson loves twiddling the radio controls and one of my granddaughters joins me for 'afternoon tea', having a brew whilst the radio's on. Be nice to do that again when the current restrictions are over.

Amazing the influence we can hold and still really good to hear younger people interested in radio.

Well done Tim, may your radio interests be a long one 👍

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Trips Down Memory Lane 20200717
One of my grandchildren my Grandaughter Mia having a go LOL
I use to do the same thing with her Dad my eldest son so it carries on, the same with my other two kids when they was young my Daughter shes my eldest kid she use like having a go a DXing when she was about11 /12 actually do very well too better than me sometimes I think it was cos she was a girl calling now she is 30 with two boys of her own and there the same want to be nosey at Grandads radios.

John123, GaryWilson, Paddy and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 7:26 pm

That's beautiful Martin, absolutely beautiful mate.

Flipping warms the cockles of the heart Smile

NUBSTER and GaryWilson like this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 8:22 pm

I use to teach my kids there numbers by turning the channel channel changer on my old Cobra 148 gtldx ,they would have to guess what number was next at each turn of the channel changer ,shame I didnt have when was a little kid maybe I wouldn't be so dyscalculia (Dyslexic) with my numbers, well it goes with my normal dyslexia ,LOL.Im the same as Alan also got a short attention span.

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 8:46 pm

I'd started this posting after us 'old gits' went astray on another remeniscing about the 'old days'.....

Who'd have thought we'd have much more recent 'trips down memory lane' let alone radio memories in the making! Smile

You guys are the best, a prime example of how everyone here makes Charlie Tango a great place to be.

I really hope this thread goes on for a long time and we share more wonderful stories. 👍

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and 43CT016 like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Truck king i used to buy from a lot mid block ic's and just general bits.
We had a local guy that sold run of the mill bit's but nothing i ever wanted but he did the markets round North Wales and collected repairs in for me so i spent some time in his little shop in the evenings.
There was another i bought from but for the life of me i can't remember the name.
Back in the early 80's it was Stockport cb centre on the A6 that was the place to get whatever you wanted on the counter or under it lol.

I regularly visited the cb shop on the A6 in Stockport. I use to cycle there, before I was old enough to drive.

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 10:17 pm

I also used another dealer over Ashbourne way. His shop was on the outskirts on a farm. All the interesting ( naughty) stuff use to be in a room behind the main shop. If you couldn't get to him, he would load his Range Rover up and deliver it to you. His name was Ian (Double 'R').

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Another place where we got CB stuff  back in the days  from, was a husband and wife team called C&L Electronics  (Chris and Lee) they ran it from there house in Harold Hill Romford Essex area she sold the radio stuff and he was the rig Dr dont know what ever happened to them because they where good it was just like they disappeared, that was in late 80s /90s times , also in the 80s we had a rig Dr in Enfield area handle Little Micro (Clive) who did it in his spare time at home he was really good rumers was he learnt his radio skills when he was in communications  in the  Army  all I know he seem to be able fix or modify most radios, he moved out of the area so we lost him too.

John123, GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toobad
Toobad

Call Sign : 26CT3000/G0NMC
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Hereford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-DX3000, Heil PR40, Imax 2000, 80m Delta Loop, GAP Titan

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 am

NUBSTER wrote:
Also I remember some other shops Zulu 14 in  Leytonstone High Street and Mura warehouse up by Brent Cross somewhere , Frequency27 ( AA Aerials) in Wood Street Walthamstow, also remember the the big eyeballs at The Royalty Dance Hall in Southgate N14 (which isn't there now) that was a biggie most of the other eyeballs was in a pub car park .
Nice one Martin, your memory is incredible. I remember hanging around Skyriders at every opportunity (bought my Astatic D104 Silver Eagle there) and going to the eyeballs at the Royalty. Like me, you were probably also "square wheeled" in the car park under the radio mast up at Alexandra Palace on Saturday nights. Your nearest shop must have been Crescent Radio in Green Lanes just over the North Circular. It was a source of CB kit  but more of a proper electronics shop just jumping on the bandwagon. There was also a wholesaler, Pama I think, in Lordship Lane, Wood Green. I managed to forge some ID to blag an account and got my Bremi BRL200 valve amplifier and Avanti Sigma IV antenna at trade price. They complimented my Belcom LS102L 26-30MHz VFO rig supplied by Bill Lowe from Lowe Electronics up in Matlock, Derbyshire.

I remember a notorious breaker called Pirate, he ran some serious power from one of the high-rise flats in Edmonton so he could always end-stop my rigs over in Palmers Green. He spent most of his day bucket-mouthing the truckers on the 19 (back when the 14 was the acknowledged breaking channel). He also fancied himself as a bit of a rig doctor and made a fair bit of wedge turning up peoples' rigs from 4W to 6 or 7W and tweaking their FM deviation on a while-u-wait basis Sad  Evil or Very Mad. He would openly broadcast his address so inevitably he was eventually visited by a trucker for an attitude adjustment. A perfect candidate for a Darwin Award IMHO Laughing

73 de Trev 26CT3000/G0NMC

NUBSTER, morris and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:32 am

Funny how ya remember unimportant stuff but not important things like the date of the Mrs birthday LOL,nah only joking , I remember Pirate I actually  know him so less said the better TBH , actually I never used Crescent radio that often because I knew the owners at Skyriders so got my stuff there and a bit of discount ,now you mentioned it I remember that place in Lordship Lane cos I originally come from Tottenham so it was about 5mins away from my parents house as you say it was trade only though, Alexandra Palace car park use make me laugh with all the antennas on the car in it made it look like giant porkupine lol after a while the police use to get stroppy with us going up there ,if my cousin Barry was still alive who started me off on CB in 1975/76 I bet I could remember some more memories and stories.

Toobad and morris like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am

I'd completely forgotten about Lowe Electronics Trev.......yet a Lowe HF-225 sits right in front of me! (Memory and old age)

Back then it seemed like anyone who owned a 'jewellers screwdriver set' fancied themselves as a 'rig doctor'.
(You ever tried removing a broken ferrite from a coil before?!?!)

Toobad likes this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 am

Actually I know Pirate he was a pain and had a bad name ,he actually did know what he was doing with radio repairs and mods he is still about and builds some very good antennas like you siad he use to tweak people's radios watts up for them and as that was a easy mod for him to do and that's what most wanted he would do it but as I said he was a lot more knowledgeable than people thought he just had a warped sense of humor on the radio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 am

Victor wrote:
Here you go Jeff (42CT016),

The first catalogue I remember ordering parts for my radio interests from :-

I was 10 in 1979! 

I think I was about 12 or 13 when I got into electronics properly, about the same time as CB went legal and I managed to get one for a birthday present!

The first Maplin catalogue I remember was when they were predominantly mail order, and had an article in it about replacing their mainframe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 9:57 am

Toobad wrote:
Your nearest shop must have been Crescent Radio in Green Lanes just over the North Circular. It was a source of CB kit  but more of a proper electronics shop just jumping on the bandwagon. 

73 de Trev 26CT3000/G0NMC

Pretty sure it was crescent radio I bought my first Antex soldering iron from when I was a kid!

Is it still there, by any remote chance?  Last time I looked on Google Earth, half the North Circ seemed to have changed!!

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trips Down Memory Lane
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: