Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» President MCKinley
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:01 pm by StevieG

» Hi from Haverhill Suffolk
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:55 pm by StevieG

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:54 pm by StevieG

» Call sign (Issued)
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:53 pm by StevieG

» Pole size and material for vertical antenna mounting
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:19 pm by Chefsdead

» Rsgb booking
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:41 pm by 26ct954

» New SS9900 owner looking for hello/advice
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by SPEED HARRIS

» Freebanding. Is there any activity between 25.615 & 26.955?
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:45 pm by NUBSTER

» CT Callsign request (Issued)
Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:01 pm by GeeBee

Keywords
sign division Sirio tango alan antenna charlie list Mobile 9900 call yaesu Zetagi ss9900 Mckinley tickets midland Calling callsign bazooka lincoln president power ss6900n frequency radio
QRZ Database

Trips Down Memory Lane

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 44
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 10:24 am

If you look at one of my post you'll see I mentioned Cresent its still there , it use to be on the main Green Lanes on the corner of Spencer Avenue off Green Lanes if I remember they moved from the corner now it's in a little hole in wall type shop in the side street dont think there that busy either, plus yes the whole of the area has been totally changed over the past 20 odd years it's not the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 9700, Yaesu FTM400XD, FT70 and Anytone AT6666

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 6:40 am

Fantastic thread everyone, I had dabbled with CB ‘in 1978/9 and it wasn’t until 2016 that I found CT and bought my first rig the AT6666 after great advice on here. I really regret not taking it further earlier on. I can’t tell you how good it is to see all you guys with the knowledge you have. Thanks all of you for sharing the history here.

NUBSTER, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick in Beds

Call Sign : 26-CT-3888
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Arlesey Beds,
Equipment Used : CRT 6900N, Silver Rod

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm

November 1981 and I had saved my paper round money which, together with early Christmas money from my parents, enabled me to get on a 306 bus from Bushey Heath to Watford and visit CB Cellar.  I bought a Uniace 100 (I think - I definitely had the 100 but not sure it was my first rig) and a firestick with a groundplane to screw it into.  CB Cellar was in a small basement shop in Market Street underneath another shop on the surface - it was full of stuff and very exciting for a 14 year old who loved that sort of thing !!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
saltire
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone AT-778V/U, icom 7300(On loan).

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Ive got some old cb magazines from 1981/2  and they make great reading  .Just shows how popular it was when there were magazines  in the shops just for cb .
There are plenty  on flea bay  worth buying one just for the memories  from back in the day .

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 6:32 am

Had boxes of old electronics and radio magazines that I used to love thumbing through and then stupidly got rid....
I have to agree with the missus though in that I have enough old junk filling the house! (That might include me for all I know!  Very Happy)

Sure I could sneak the odd copy onto the bookshelves, just for old times sake Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Toobad
Toobad

Call Sign : 26CT3000/G0NMC
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Hereford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-DX3000, Heil PR40, Imax 2000, 80m Delta Loop, GAP Titan

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Here's a little nugget from Autumn 1981. I was already well into SSB DX with a Belcom LS102L, Bremi BRL-200 valve amp and a Sigma IV on the chimney of my parent's North London house. Now the Belcom is a multi-mode VFO-driven 10m amateur rig capable of 26-30MHz when modded. With all the buzz of the legal CB frequencies being released in the November, I started occasionally monitoring the new FM frequencies. Eventually I stumbled across a couple of mobiles who appeared to be doing some range tests. They were very surprised when I broke in and gave them both signal reports!

It turned out they were testing samples of the new CBs going on sale from 2nd November that year. Their warehouse and offices were in Garman Road, Tottenham, about 3-4 miles away from my QTH. I remember one guy was using the handle Trader Vic. He explained they had Government issued licences to operate the new radios being submitted for CB27/81 accreditation. After that we hooked up daily for further testing. His real name was Alan and he owned A.M.S Trading Co. (General Importers) Ltd. but these days is better known as Lord Sugar, the man responsible for the Amstrad CB900 and CB901 radios (the signal meter used "fairy lights" rather than a conventional needle).  After legalisation we had a regular morning sked during his commute into work. He even invited me to the Amstrad offices for an "eyeball" and took me to lunch at the local pub along with his marketing manager Dickie Mould (you couldn't make a name like that up).

For anybody nostalgic for a reminder of the hi-fi kit and computers Alan saturated the UK electronics market with in his heyday, here's a link to a PDF of the man's entrepreneurial endeavours:

The Amstrad Times

73 de Trev 26CT3000/G0NMC

NUBSTER and John123 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 12:37 pm

That is a fantastic memory, Trevor.😎 Thanks for posting.👍

It has really great reading about everyone's memories from the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Trev I remember Amstrad in Garman Road in Tottenham, the road was just over the train crossing first on the left  which was the far end of Northumberland Park Road ,use to be a big pub by Northumberland Park Train station called the Northumberland Arms Hotel ,I  remember it because my dad use be a long distance lorry driver and the company he worked for use to park there lorries near Amtrads because our house was two minutes away from there off Shelborne Road sometimes my dad  use to deliver stuff for them he never knew though what was in the trailer all he knew it was electrical stuff, where in North London did you live was you in my old area of Tottenham?.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toobad
Toobad

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-DX3000, Heil PR40, Imax 2000, 80m Delta Loop, GAP Titan

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm

No Martin, I didn't live in Tottenham. My parents had a house just off Hedge Lane in Palmers Green. I then bought a place on the borders of Palmers Green and Winchmore Hill behind the Dog & Duck pub in Hoppers Road. I think you once told me you had a relative (aunt?) who lived in Winchmore Hill.
Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Trev , I actually live off Hedge Lane now ,  And when I was first married me and the Mrs live off of Hoppers Road called Woodbury Avenue in Winchmore Hill that was in late 80s /90s what a small world mate .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toobad
Toobad

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Haha, what are the chances! I lived at home in Crawford Gardens until 1983 then moved to Avondale Road until 2002 when Mrs Toobad and I "escaped to the country" and ended up in our "two acres of paradise" just outside Hereford about half a mile from the Welsh border. I bet we were both at the Royalty in Southgate or up at Ally Pally at the same time or even passed each other in the street without realising it.
Take care, mate.
Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Most probably we did pass each other in the street ,will admit I was still using CB back then but at that time when living in up until mid to late 90sWinchmore Hill I was more in my cars owning R.S Turbos and Sierra Cosworths with my mates much to my Mrs annoyance lol

Toobad likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trips Down Memory Lane   Trips Down Memory Lane - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trips Down Memory Lane
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: