Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 pm by KP441

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:53 pm by John123

»  The new FTDX10
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:18 pm by Paddy

» Call sign request (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:01 pm by Nick

» AT Italian Municipalities Award- 1AT/xxxx
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:33 pm by ranger

» President MCKinley
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:24 pm by TJS 26CT3029

» Call sign (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:39 pm by GaryWilson

» ready to dx field
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:12 pm by Bozzer

» 1980s Groups & Clubs
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:01 pm by NUBSTER

Keywords
tango president power call alan ALINCO Mobile charlie division Calling frequency ss6900n ss9900 antenna sign yaesu midland callsign bazooka lincoln radio tickets list Sirio Mckinley 9900
QRZ Database

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
STARSHIP
Major contributor
Major contributor
STARSHIP

Call Sign : 26CT695 & M3PIE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Equipment Used : KENWOOD TS-570DG, RANGER 811H

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Empty
PostSubject: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Essex Ham looks at the old City and Guilds Radio Amateurs Exam and compares it to today's 3-tier system

They note:
• 52% of the RAE exam would be covered off in today’s Foundation
• 34% would today be classed as Intermediate
• 14%, mostly electronics theory, would fall under “Full”

Read the Essex Ham article at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/rae-exam-reviewed.html

You can find out more about the free Essex Ham Foundation Online training course and register to join at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

You can follow Essex Ham on Twitter at
https://twitter.com/EssexHam

MarcFX and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 am

This is the same post but on another site.... (Remove link if not allowed) .....
https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=58395

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks for that Mark.

I'm sick to the back teeth of those exclaiming that the 'Foundation' is too easy, or the quips about "handing out licences to CBers", "Free in a box of cereal", "Collect tokens from a crisp packet", etc.  Rolling Eyes
It does nothing but belittle those trying to take up the radio hobby and makes the efforts of people, usually volunteers helping others to get their licence, devalued in some way.

Nice to see the 'evidence' presented in a more thoughtful way.

Here's to the likes of Pete and Essex Ham, the scores of volunteers, the RSGB efforts and especially to the exam invigilators who make todays Radio Amateur licencing possible. 👏

John123, MarcFX, saltire and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 12:03 pm

The people who spout such rubbish of "Foundation licences come free with a pack of corn flakes" are also the same idiots who complain that the hobby is dying.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Tim Tom wrote:
The people who spout such rubbish of "Foundation licences come free with a pack of corn flakes" are also the same idiots who complain that the hobby is dying.
Very true.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gavala
Gavala

Call Sign : M7GRC
QTH or Location : Hampshire UK
Equipment Used : Yeasu FTM400XDR / Anytone 878+

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Victor wrote:

It does nothing but belittle those trying to take up the radio.....

Funny you say this Victor and I think you know I'm on the same side of the fence as I come from CB starting back in '79.

I joined a local club a month back and today I spotted some post text I wish I hadn't on the club forum when one individual relates to the the levels of amateur license as: "novice, intermediate and full".

I'll tell you something I never normally speak of to explain how I feel about this kind of 'acclaimed superiority'
My parents were amateur photographers as well as having their careers. They tried to teach me but I was too interested in girls and my CB, however it must be in the genes as I took it up in my 30's and joined a club. One year later they made me chairman having won several trophies including image of the year which blew the club and many many pro photographers out of the water. As chairman I nursed every new member and basically handed all decisions to a show of hands by its members  both new and old, something the committee disapproved of very much.
That year we won the trophy of all trophies involving a panel of 7 images, 4 of which were all from new members, one only had a camera phone, and we won. The old members with thousands of pounds of equipment and membership history shrugged it off as a fluke so we went on and won another, and another... I resigned the end of that year and never went back.

1 Year later I'm the official photographer to a rock concert promoter and on stage with AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Santana, Slayer, Fleetwood Mac and ZZ Top to name a few. And I mean the ONLY photographer allowed on stage by order of the promoter, the rest had to suck it in the press pit.

3 Years since picking up a camera I found myself stood side stage looking over the audience somewhere in Greece thinking about them old stalwarts back home, probably kicking more newcomers by the shin to show who's boss.

All hobbies and arts need new blood and need to be nurtured and not hindered. A person can't see this if they've already been in the fold for so long. They need a good shin kicking from the newcomers who should and MUST show a new style of how this sh*t can be done.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 am

Yep, I've hear the 'novice' term used quite a bit and then usually followed by a less than heartfelt apology for the 'mistake'. Some consider it a semantics error.... Rolling Eyes

All I can suggest is that we do our very best to simply ignore the naysayers, (easier said than done!), and get on with things. For far too long I avoided the Amateur Radio route due to such people but so glad things changed enough for me to get back into it. I must say that I've been so happy to finally hold my Radio Amateur licence and take the 'Foundation' titling with pride. (Nothing can stand without a firm foundation!)

'Gavala' your photography story was very inspiring and shows that we can achieve great things despite such obstacles.

MarcFX likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MarcFX
MarcFX

Call Sign : 26CT2627, M7ARQ, 2E0GKF
QTH or Location : North Somerset
Equipment Used : GrantII (Standard), CRT SS9900, FT817ND, UV5R (x2), GD-77 (x2), TYT UV9000E, ANYTONE AT-D578UV, I-COM IC-705.

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Some people forget that we all have to learn!

I have passed both my Foundation (in January) and Intermediate (last week) and would not have achieved either without a considerable amount of study.
One of the main mantras of the hobby is supposed to be to encourage, aid and add to the knowledge of those new to it. In the main I believe this to be the case. Unfortunately there will always be a few who take a more elitist view.

I would never put anyone off doing foundation, it's worth it just to get on the air.
Many only ever take the Foundation, and that's OK if it's all they want. It's a hobby.

Best of luck to anyone doing any level. I hope they achieve their goals.

In answer to the question posed by the OP. It would seem that it was far less technical, but you have to take into account the advances in technology and understanding of the science.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
STARSHIP
Major contributor
Major contributor
STARSHIP

Call Sign : 26CT695 & M3PIE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Equipment Used : KENWOOD TS-570DG, RANGER 811H

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 4:01 pm

The debate about licence levels has been going on for years even before the FL was thought about., going back to the change from written exam to City & Guilds multiple choice also A and B licence days.
It is load of old Bollox.
You are all radio amateurs no matter the level, just please all live together and enjoy the hobby as it should be we are all supposed to be equals are we not.
Mark,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 4:08 pm

STARSHIP wrote:
The debate about licence levels has been going on for years even before the FL was thought about., going back to the change from written exam to City & Guilds multiple choice also A and B licence days.
It is load of old Bollox.
You are all radio amateurs no matter the level, just please all live together and enjoy the hobby as it should be we are all supposed to be equals are we not.
Mark,
+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: