Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Have You Just Arrived From Old Forum? : If you have then you need to click "Join CT" and register an account on this new forum. Your CT call sign is still valid and you don't need to apply for a new one.
CT Summer Prize Draw: The first number drawn will win a Brand New President Mckinley Tuned Export 11m all mode radio!! See the Latest News forum for details.
Runner-Up Prize: The second number to be drawn will win a £30 Paypal Gift. There is still time to get involved.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Just got my new licence
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 4:11 pm by Nik70UK

» Inline antenna matcher
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 4:09 pm by Nik70UK

» Request a Call sign
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:09 pm by John123

» Call sign request (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:07 pm by John123

» request call sign (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 pm by John123

» New member introduction (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:05 pm by John123

» Introduction & Call-Sign Request (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:04 pm by John123

» HF 0-30mhz radios VS dedicated 11m Radios
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 10:59 am by Scan125

Keywords
sign call Sirio division frequency alan Calling 6900n tickets tango Mobile callsign power Mckinley lincoln 9900 radio president yaesu ss9900 ALINCO list antenna chart midland Buxton
QRZ Database

Brand new and without a set

Go down 
AuthorMessage
R-Tron75

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Nottinghamshire
Equipment Used : None yet

Brand new and without a set Empty
PostSubject: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello all,
I have toyed with the idea if getting a CB ever since I rode about on my Raleigh Grifter with a car Aerial taped to the back and a button on the front that sounded 4 types of siren.
Now I can afford one (well I'm thinking of asking the wife for one for christmas) and I don't know what is out there or if I would even be able to make contact with anyone.

My questions are;
What do I need to spend as a complete beginner?
Do I need a licence?
How easy is it to make contact with other users?
Are mobile sets any good these days? Is anyone else using them in the roads?

Cheers in advance.
R-Tron75
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pagan
Contributor
Contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 20
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi R-Tron, welcome to the club.

In answer to your questions.....No, you don't need a licence for CB. If you want to become a "Ham" you will need to take an exam and get a licence.

You will need a radio, power supply and an antenna.
Radios cost anywhere between £50-£300 depending on which kind you want (Multi-mode / Export are the best as they let you use all modes and are more powerful than a basic CB radio).
A power supply will cost between £50-£100 depending on size....the more powerful your radio is, the more powerful your power supply will need to be.
Antennas are available from about £35 upwards (home-base or mobile).
There are lots of other "accessories" you might want to buy....SWR meters (for tuning your antenna), spare microphones (one is supplied with the radio), etc.

How easy is it to contact people?....that depends mainly on your location and antenna. If you happen to live on high ground and have a large (1/2 wave or larger) antenna you should have no problems. Some places have many users, some don't but even with a small(ish) antenna you should be able to contact others within 20-30 miles. I live in a flat and have to use an indoor antenna but I have no problems getting contacts up to about 30 miles away (and much further, including all of Europe when conditions are good).

Hope this is helpful...if you have more questions just ask as there's always someone on the forum who will know the answers. See the link below for Knights Electrocom....many club members buy their equipment here:

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d106.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 118
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 5:22 am

Hello R-Tron75, welcome to the forum.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
StevieG
Contributor
Contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060
Times Thanked : 61
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII, CRTSS6900N, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, 2x Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ ,KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 , Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 am

Hi R-Tron75,  welcome to the CTDX group 
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 3000, MD200 mic ,Vortex 4 ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Tron and a very warm welcome to the forum

As always some great advice given from Phil

This hobby should come with a government health warning as it can seriously damage your bank balance

Craig 73
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R-Tron75

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Nottinghamshire
Equipment Used : None yet

PostSubject: Thanks formthe warm welcome!   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks pagan and thanks all for the welcome.
Next stop... kcb.co.uk.
As far as bank balance goes, any hobby that can take place indoors and doesn't attract a payment plan/contract/subscription is all good. As long as I get the right stuff first time round it sounds reasonable.
I'll take a look and come back with some ideas if that's ok.
I think the other half might stretch to 300 quid if I'm good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Brand new and without a set
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: New Member Introductions-
Jump to: